Use of music in films, music videos, news reports, etc. (synchronisation)


When you use music together with images, a juxtaposition of sound and pictures occurs. This is called synchronisation. If, for example, you create a video clip with music that you publish on your website, or an online news outlet uses music in a video report, the rights must be cleared before the video is published. […]

Release of music for digital streaming or downloading

If you want to make your music available online via a music service that offers digital streaming or downloading, you can contact an aggregator. The aggregator is a digital distributor, which supplies musical repertoire to the various online services in Norway and the rest of the world. It also acts as a link between you […]

Release of music in physical formats (CD, DVD)

If you are planning to release music in a physical format (e.g. CD/LP/DVD), you must contact NCB for clearance before going to press. This applies even if the release contains only your own music. See the tariffs, calculate what it will cost to release a record, and see other useful related information HERE (   […]

What is NCB, and what are mechanical rights?

If you want to record a piece of music or make an audio-visual production containing music, you must first obtain a licence to do so from NCB (Nordic Copyright Bureau). NCB issues this licence on behalf of composers, lyricists and music publishers that own the rights to the music, and you must therefore contact them […]

Does TONO provide legal advice on my publishing contract?

No. Creators and publishers are considered equal parties in TONO, and we cannot, on a general basis, provide any assistance with regard to agreements between them. However, we can explain what your contract will entail in relation to distributions by TONO/NCB.

I have received an advance from my publisher, how is this registered?

The publisher must submit a so-called declaration of transfer, or financial authorisation, to TONO. This document must specify whether the advance relates to revenues from, for example, record sales, or whether it also applies to performing rights royalties. It must also state whether it is a general declaration of transfer or applies to only some […]

How large a percentage of my royalties can a music publisher claim?

The publisher can take no more than 33.33 per cent for a performance and no more than 50 per cent for a sound recording. However, it is normal for publishers to receive 33.33 per cent of both types of royalties. This applies in the original publishing territories, i.e. in territories where a sub-publishing agreement does […]

How can I start my own music publishing company?

Contact The Norwegian Music Publisher Association. They will be able to help you. You can also apply for TONO membership for your publishing company by completing the application form found HERE. The following conditions apply to music publishers: The publishing company must have an agreement with at least one person who is the creator of […]

What is a music publisher, and what does it do?

A music publisher can help a music creator to market and stage performances of their works through, for example, promotion and networking – often both at home in Norway and abroad. For more information, visit the website of THE NORWEGIAN MUSIC PUBLISHER ASSOCIATION.

International performances

If your music is played on the radio or television abroad, you do not need to report it to us, since this is handled under reciprocal administration contracts with our affiliated societies worldwide. However, you should note that many of TONO’s sister societies abroad use the so-called “sampling” method, which means that they receive playlists […]