Can I administer my own music?

As a member of TONO, you authorise TONO to license all public performance, transmission and recording of your music. However, you are still entitled to mange your music yourself in certain areas.

Non-commercial use

If your music is performed at an event to raise money for charity, you may give permission for the non-commercial use of your musical works. The following conditions must be met:


NCB/TONO practise self-management in certain areas relating to synchronisation, see for specific terms and conditions, or contact NCB at or +45 33 36 87 00.

Music on your own website

You may self-manage the use of your own music on your own website.  Contact if you have any questions about this.

Library works

Since January 2016, TONO has offered its members the opportunity to manage production music (also known as library music) themselves. Self-management applies to the mechanical rights areas synchronisation and copying.

This means that our members can themselves negotiate prices with production companies that make use of libraries of musical works created specifically for film, television, radio and advertising.

Library music is not disseminated to the general public, but is normally made available to production companies that are at liberty to choose which musical works they would like to use, in an audiovisual production, for example.

Definition of library music
Library music is defined as follows: An uncommissioned musical work that is released solely for non-exclusive use in audio and audiovisual productions.
The musical work is created primarily for use by production companies and various enterprises that may use the work as background music in their own audio and visual productions.

How to register a work as library music
The musical works are first registered with TONO in the usual way.
Then you must submit an application form stating which works you wish to transfer back to your own administration.

The works will be marked as Library (LIB) in our systems. This means that they will be exempt from NCB’s ordinary mechanical rights administration.

It is important to be aware of the following points:
•  Self-management applies only to synchronisation and copying. This means that their public performance will continue to be managed and licensed by TONO.
•  If a work has several rights holders, all of them must apply for self-management of the work in question before it can be considered library music.
•  The works must first be registered with TONO in the usual way before an application for self-management is submitted.

Download the application form HERE.
The completed form must be sent to MEDLEM@TONO.NO

Rights categories

In principle, TONO’s members place the management of all rights categories in TONO’s hands. However, rights holders may also manage one or more categories themselves (see the list below). Withdrawal from a rights category will include the use of all the member’s works in that particular category.  It is not possible to withdraw individual works or works published by a particular publisher from TONO’s administration.

If a TONO member wishes the use of their works in one or more categories to be administered outside TONO, the works concerned will not be covered by TONO’s agreements with our customers, and the member will therefore not receive payment through TONO for any use in these categories. Nor will TONO be able to assist the member in the event of non-payment, etc., in relation to categories administered outside TONO.

Any TONO member wishing to withdraw categories from TONO’s administration, must notify TONO of this no less than six months before the end of a calendar year. For example, if the categories are to be withdrawn from TONO’s administration with effect from 1 January 2024, the member must notify TONO of this no later than 30 June 2023.


The individual European collective rights societies may define their own categories. In practice, this means that they will vary from country to country. TONO’s rights categories are:

  1. Recording on audio media
    “Phono-mechanical”, e.g. the use of recorded music in CD or LP releases.
  2. Recording on audiovisual media
    “AV-mechanical”, e.g. the use of music in DVD releases and games.
  3. Synchronisation
    The use of music in a way that synchronises sound and moving images, e.g. when music is used in a film or TV production.
  4. Ordinary public performances
    E.g. the use of music in connection with concerts and film showings. This also covers background music.
  5. Radio and TV broadcasts
    E.g. the use of music in radio and TV programmes broadcast from Norway, as well as subsequent distribution of those radio and TV broadcasts. Also covers retransmission on cable TV.Please note that the agreement between TONO and NRK functions as a general licensing agreement. Read more about this below.
  1. Online
    E.g. the use of music on streaming channels.


Areas covered by general licensing agreements
In areas where a general licensing agreement has been entered into, it will not be possible to withdraw rights from TONO’s administration. This type of licence means that an colletive management organisation enters into a general agreement on behalf of all rights holders within a rights area, an arrangement regulated by the Norwegian Copyright Act. TONO’s agreement with NRK contains a general licensing element, as do the agreements entered into via Norwaco (TV distribution, NRK-Arkiv, etc.).

Grand rights

The performance of original works of musical drama, or musical works performed on a stage in a dramatic setting (opera, ballet, musical theatre, etc.) are not subject to TONO’s administration. Read more about the special provisions relating to grand rights here:


If you have any questions about the administration of rights outside TONO, contact us at, or phone +47 22 05 72 00.


For members

Are some types of yoik covered by special copyright provisions to accord with Sámi tradition?

Yes, TONO has special copyright rules for the personal yoik that it administers. Copyright protects everyone who creates works of music or other intellectual property, and forms the basis for...

Open in new tab

Reporting and distribution from YouTube

YouTube applies systems that autimatically recognise recorded music, and make it possible to register metadata and connect an uploaded video to registered musical works. If you upload your own music...

Open in new tab

Customers and performers in subsidised category

What are subsidised concerts? Subsidised concerts are concerts whose main repertoire TONO, for reasons of cultural policy, has decided to support with additional funds. These funds derive partly from unidentified...

Open in new tab

Theatre music – bespoke or existing

In this area, TONO has entered into a separate agreement with the Association of Norwegian Theatres and Orchestras (NTO), which obviates the need for TONO rights holders to negotiate directly...

Open in new tab

Application form for music publishers

HERE you will find an application form in PDF for music publishers.

Open in new tab

Concert notification form

If you are a concert promoter, please download the Concert Report form in PDF format, and send it by mail or scan it and e-mail it to If you are...

Open in new tab

Work notification form for publishers

Here you will find the WORK NOTIFICATION FORM in PDF for original publishers. If the form relates to a sub-publisher, you must use THIS FORM (In Norwegian). You can send it by...

Open in new tab

Work notification form for music creators

Here you can download the WORK NOTIFICATION FORM in PDF for creators. You can send it by mail or scan it and email it to WORK@TONO.NO. Remember to sign the form...

Open in new tab

Application form for music creators

If you are unable to submit the application form ELECTRONICALLY, you can download a PDF version HERE. The form must be completed, signed and returned to us by mail or,...

Open in new tab

Can I administer my own music?

As a member of TONO, you authorise TONO to license all public performance, transmission and recording of your music. However, you are still entitled to mange your music yourself in...

Open in new tab

Use of music in films, music videos, news reports, etc. (synchronisation)

When you use music together with images, a juxtaposition of sound and pictures occurs. This is called synchronisation. If, for example, you create a video clip with music that you...

Open in new tab

Release of music for digital streaming or downloading

If you want to make your music available online via a music service that offers digital streaming or downloading, you can contact an aggregator. The aggregator is a digital distributor,...

Open in new tab

Release of music in physical formats (CD, DVD)

If you are planning to release music in a physical format (e.g. CD/LP/DVD), you must contact NCB for clearance before going to press. This applies even if the release contains...

Open in new tab

What is NCB, and what are mechanical rights?

If you want to record a piece of music or make an audio-visual production containing music, you must first obtain a licence to do so from NCB (Nordic Copyright Bureau)....

Open in new tab

Does TONO provide legal advice on my publishing contract?

No. Creators and publishers are considered equal parties in TONO, and we cannot, on a general basis, provide any assistance with regard to agreements between them. However, we can explain...

Open in new tab

I have received an advance from my publisher, how is this registered?

The publisher must submit a so-called declaration of transfer, or financial authorisation, to TONO. This document must specify whether the advance relates to revenues from, for example, record sales, or...

Open in new tab

How large a percentage of my royalties can a music publisher claim?

The publisher can take no more than 33.33 per cent for a performance and no more than 50 per cent for a sound recording. However, it is normal for publishers...

Open in new tab

How can I start my own music publishing company?

Contact The Norwegian Music Publisher Association. They will be able to help you. You can also apply for TONO membership for your publishing company by completing the application form found...

Open in new tab

What is a music publisher, and what does it do?

A music publisher can help a music creator to market and stage performances of their works through, for example, promotion and networking – often both at home in Norway and...

Open in new tab

International performances

If your music is played on the radio or television abroad, you do not need to report it to us, since this is handled under reciprocal administration contracts with our...

Open in new tab

What is the difference between live and mechanical performances on radio and television?

Live performances mean that the musical work is performed live. For tv performances this means that the musicians are performing the work on screen. For radio performances this means a...

Open in new tab

Why are the values per minute higher on P1 than on P3?

The distribution of NRK’s radio channels is based on an a factor which relates to the audience numbers per channel, among other things. Additionally, the minute value per channel will...

Open in new tab

How is the first performance supplement registered and calculated?

All new works that meet the criteria for first performance will automatically be given a special code when a work notification has been submitted and registered. This code is triggered...

Open in new tab

How much will I receive for one broadcast on the radio?

It is not possible to give an exact answer, since the value per minute varies on the various channels – even those belonging to the same broadcaster. The type of...

Open in new tab

Do I have to report performances on radio and television myself?

No. As a rights holder, you do not need to report performances on radio and television to us. TONO receives detailed music reports directly from the radio and television channels,...

Open in new tab

How much will I receive for a concert?

Here is an explanation of how TONO calculates payment settlements for different types of concerts. NOTE! The names used here are fictitious and are only included to illustrate the process...

Open in new tab

How does TONO calculate the royalties payable in various areas?

Please check this pdf document to see how the royalties payable in the various performance areas are calculated.

Open in new tab

When will I receive a distribution for my concert?

Concert royalties are distributed once a year, in September. This distribution includes concerts held during the entire previous year (1 January to 31 December). If your works were performed in...

Open in new tab

What is the difference between grand and small rights?

The expression “grand rights” is used in connection with performances of a dramatic musical work (e.g. an opera, operetta, musical, pantomime or ballet). The performance of originally written dramatico-musical works,...

Open in new tab

A member of the band has quit. Can I transfer his shares in the work to the remaining band members?

Written consent is required to remove one or more rights holders from a work that is already registered with TONO. It is important to distinguish between performers and creators. Remember...

Open in new tab

Performing or recording cover versions

TONO/NCB give permission for the public performance and recording of copyright-protected musical works on behalf of their creators. However, please note that the first publication is reserved for the creators...

Open in new tab

Can I use a few bars from another creator’s work?

If the work is protected, you must obtain the prior permission of the original work’s rights holders. TONO will be happy to help you find out whom you must contact...

Open in new tab

Can I apply to TONO for permission to arrange or translate a work?

No. You must obtain the permission of the original rights holder if you want to create your own version of another creator’s work. However, such permission does not automatically imply...

Open in new tab

Can I give away a work free of charge when I am a TONO member?

When you sign a management contract with TONO, you – as a creator of musical works – give TONO responsibility for managing your performance rights and mechanical rights. You are...

Open in new tab

What does it mean that a work is copyright free?

According to Norwegian Copyright law, an artistic work is protected by copyright for 70 years after the year its creator(s) deceased. After this, the work becomes copyright free, which means...

Open in new tab

How do I protect my works against plagiarism?

The Norwegian Copyright Act protects the creator’s intellectual property and financial rights and entitlements to the work. If you are concerned that your music may be plagiarised, you should make...

Open in new tab

How are percentages allocated between a work’s creators?

The creators of a work are free to agree upon a split which is then reported to TONO. If an agreed split is stipulated in the work notification submitted to...

Open in new tab

Do I have to submit documentation of the work?

No. In principle, you do not need to submit any documentation along with your work notification. TONO has a scheme, under which a random sample of works is routinely selected....

Open in new tab

Why do I have to notify TONO of all my works?

TONO uses your work notifications as the basis for the calculation and distribution of royalties due to you. Before we can calculate and pay you for the public performance of...

Open in new tab

What is the difference between TONO and NCB?

TONO manages your financial rights in connection with the public performance of your musical works. This means that TONO ensures that you get paid as a rights holder when your...

Open in new tab

What is meant by a “musical work”?

In the context of TONO, a “work” is a piece of music or a song. If you have played a part as composer, lyricist and/or arranger, you are a rights...

Open in new tab

Can TONO help me in the event of a dispute?

No. TONO is not a judicial body and has no authority to adjudicate disputes between two parties in matters relating, for example, to plagiarism or similar copyright infringements. We must...

Open in new tab

Does TONO deduct tax from the royalties it distributes?

No. According to the Norwegian Tax Assessment Act, “fees or other remunerations paid to the creator of an artistic work” are reportable, but TONO has no duty to make deductions...

Open in new tab

What is difference between TONO and Gramo, and can I be a member of both?

TONO collects and distributes royalties to composers, lyricists and music publishers for public performances and broadcast works. Gramo does the same for recorded music, but on behalf of the performers...

Open in new tab

What does it cost to be a member of TONO?

It costs nothing to join TONO, nor be a member of TONO. We collect and distribute royalties on a non-profit basis, and deduct an annual administration percentage of approximately 15...

Open in new tab

What does being a member of TONO mean?

When you sign a management agreement with TONO, TONO/NCB will, on your behalf, manage your financial rights and entitlements in connection with public performances and sound recordings of your music....

Open in new tab