I have received an advance from my publisher, how is this registered?

The publisher must submit a so-called declaration of transfer, or financial authorisation, to TONO. This document must specify whether the advance relates to revenues from, for example, record sales, or whether it also applies to performing rights royalties. It must also state whether it is a general declaration of transfer or applies to only some of your works.

When we have registered the document, your shares on the works in question will be distributed to the publisher who will then offset them against your advance. Please note that any percentages in the work registered on the publisher are not offset against the advance.

TONO has no overview over how much of your advance you have paid back, but the publisher has a duty to let us know when the amount has been recouped. When this has happened, and if you do not enter into a new agreement with the publisher, it is important that you let us know your bank details, so that we can register them for future distributions to you.

for medlemmer

Are some types of yoik covered by special copyright provisions to accord with Sámi tradition?

Yes, TONO has special copyright rules for the personal yoik that it administers. Copyright protects everyone who creates works of music or other intellectual property, and forms the basis for TONO’s operations. In Norway, this right is established in law through the Norwegian Copyright Act. It is also protected under a number of international agreements,…
Les svaret i ny fane